It’s hard to believe Alice has been gone for 21 weeks today, but it’s even harder to believe that she only lived that long. Her life was short, but her impact everlasting. She was born Thursday, August 11th 2016, and passed Thursday, January 5th 2017. She gave us 21 one perfect weeks before slipping away silently, back to heaven.
To mark the 21 weeks she has been gone reaching the same 21 weeks she lived, I wanted to share 21 things she has taught me or reinforced in my mind. I know I could list at least 500, but 21 will do for now.
1. Enjoy every day
2. Allow little things to make you smile
3. A good nights’ sleep can fix anything
4. You can never say “I love you” too much
5. I can do hard things
6. I am beautiful
7. I have purpose
8. I can be patient
9. Family is always the most important thing
10. Baths are the best thing in the world
11. Bedtime routines are the key to happiness
12. Everyone has a light inside them
13. YOUR story matters
14. I have value
15. You can lift others without saying anything
16. What love really is
17. How to love myself
18. I can reach my goals
19. Every moment of life should be celebrated
20. There is no pain that Christ cannot ease
21. You can have a large impact on others in a small amount of time
Alice had a short life, but her brief time on Earth will continue to influence me throughout eternity. Although she is gone, there are times she does not feel so far away. I can almost feel her in my arms. Each day I reflect on how she made me better; how I cannot possibly be worse off from the sum of my experience with her.
A quote from president Gordon B Hinckey (a previous leader of the LDS church) resonated with me. He said it in reference to his wife after her passing, and I have adjusted it to relate to Alice.
“Before I had her she had been the baby of my dreams. She was my dearest friend for 21 weeks, my inspiration, and really my superior. And now, since she has passed, she has once again become the baby of my dreams.”